[Tango-L] colgada

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Mon Jun 26 16:56:42 EDT 2006

Hey Igor,

That kind of counterweight dancing is already being explored by a number
of people-- keep your eyes open, and you'll see it around the festivals.

As for transitioning between "posture"-styles or embraces, the best
thing you can do is make the transition gradual, smooth, and clear. I
find that a slight firming/relaxing of the embrace signals it well. Let
volcadas be your guide for getting in and out of apilado, and colgadas
do the same for a counterweight embrace.

Also, as an exercise, you might try playing with an open-embrace
"apilado." It sounds bizarre, and takes a bit of strength from both
partners (it'll make you sweat, if you don't already), but I've found
that it can clean up legwork and the weight-shift better than anything
else. It also clarifies that the lean is a pressure with horizontal (and
slightly upward) direction-- *not* down, as many people do without
realizing it. Just don't make the lean too deep, so you don't wreck, and
it'll explain itself pretty well.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC