[Tango-L] colgada

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Mon Jun 26 16:38:04 EDT 2006

The group of elements called Colgada have a base property for defining a new
tango style.

I my view this colgada-style has the great potential to become a
full-developed dancing style where each and every tango element including
straight steps is done with that "hanging back". In apilado there is a
definite lean forward ( and the more it is the more the style is
expressed ), and in colgada-style - there is lean backward.

I've seen some dances which were very inspirational in this sense. I see a
lot of interesting opportunities here and I am trying to practice it when I
can. I think it is not that difficult to start feeling it once you "let it
go". But keen sense of balance should help :)

Colgada-style is not necessarily more difficult than, say apilado. I think
mastering a turn in apilado ( preserving perfect lean ) requires much more
balancing abilities than the same in colgada. It may be so, because
colgada-style is an open-embrace style.

I do not know well how to transform nicely from vertical position, to
apilado, and to colgada-position. This is always most difficult. But I am
sure some masters will be able to find it out and tell us. This
transformation by itself could be a reach source of ideas.

Igor.