[Tango-L] Cabeceo, again

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Sun Jun 25 05:47:03 EDT 2006

Chris,

Here's your tit-for-tat.

Chris, UK wrote:
> You're saying in that social environment, [the cabeceo] is neither necessary nor effective?
>
> Then notwithstanding that much tango education is founded on the very
> principle of teaching stuff that is neither necessary or effective, I'd be interested to hear why you think anyone there [in the US] needs to learn it.

As I said, I promote knowledge and creativity. People learning the tango
can survive learning the cabeceo alongside the various embraces, just as
they can be bothered to hear what the lyrics are about while they're
starting to grasp the idea of dancing to contrapuntal chamber music
(e.g., Di Sarli's "El recodo," most of '50s Pugliese). Neither the
cabeceo nor a knowledge of tango lyrics is absolutely essential to
dancing at the milongas in North America, except perhaps in certain
festivals that make a point of using the cabeceo; but both topics ARE
essential to dancing _without being an ignoramus_. Plus, the tango
attracts intelligent people, and they find this shit interesting. Who am
I-- who is anyone-- to stand in the way of curiosity?

People enjoy learning these things. Whether they use them or not is
contingent upon circumstance.

And is it such useless knowledge anyway? Well, what if some eager
student decides to visit BA after five weeks of dancing? It's happened
before. And what if someone does a performance that plays with the
cabeceo creatively? We're already blind enough to what performers
actually create for us. There IS such a performance, and it'll be
included in the critical essay I'm writing as a follow-up to the
"Prologue" I posted here a few weeks ago.
>> The *action* of the cabeceo is perhaps natural;
>> its  *meaning* however, is a construct
>>
> Only to those who don't get it. In its various forms in different cultures, it's meaning is natural to just about every guy and girl on the planet.
>
> "How about it?"
>
> Chris

There's already a bunch of arguments here disputing your simplistic one.
Here's another. The fact of the matter is that people new to the tango
find it intimidating enough already, and as teachers we can ease their
social anxieties by deciphering some of the patterned behavior for them,
or by letting them in on the traditions they can understand with minimal
effort. They're already confronted by tons of shit they don't get.
Someone making eyes at them has a good chance of being misinterpreted--
especially if an expert dancer is inviting a beginner. The beginner
needs to be told they're not being tested, or teased, or whatever. They
need to be told that it's a "thing," and that by receiving it they're
being invited not only to dance, but into the fold.

To re-emphasize an earlier point which is extremely important: I've been
to milongas where most dancers were of the same demographic (age, race,
apparent tax bracket, etc.), and I can testify that in my neighborhood,
it ain't like that. We've got people from all over. We've got multiple
languages going on. We've got very young people and very old people, and
everything between.  Rich, poor, you name it. We've got a great variety
of styles going on. Most recreational activities are exactly the
opposite; this social dance can really throw people for a loop the first
few times they show up. To welcome a newcomer, whether a starving
college student or a recently divorced executive or a therapist with a
midlife crisis, we've often got to break down some real boundaries, and
help them revise their most basic expectations. Perhaps they're
confused. They're not getting the steps right. Perhaps they're trying to
decide whether they really want to give it a shot. Then some
superior-looking asshole catches their eye from across the room, and
seems to be nodding at the exit, which they're strategically sitting in
front of.

You tell me who doesn't get it.

Jake Spatz
DC

p.s. Sean-- thanks for a nicely written post. While reading it, I had
the notion that things might actually be different here in the US than I
realized before... Perhaps the majority of dancers ARE using the
cabeceo, but the ones who get rejected aren't accepting it, and then
resort to other means. JK of CS appears to think otherwise, with his
reference to women who look at the floor; but it's worth reconsidering.