[Tango-L] Cabeceo, again

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Jun 24 23:38:07 EDT 2006

> > The *action* of the cabeceo is perhaps natural;
> > its  *meaning* however, is a construct
>
> Only to those who don't get it. In its various forms in different
cultures,
> it's meaning is natural to just about every guy and girl on the planet.
>
> "How about it?"

Well, Chris, I did not know that everyone on the planet is ready to then get
up and meet their prospect at the edge of the dance floor. Just like Jake
said, it could mean:"Let's go outside." "Have you got drugs?" or..."How
about a quickie in the loo?"

Dani from La dolce vita wrote:
  However, it is scientific anthropological FACT that the inherent method of
INTRA-SPECIES (regardless of culture - which is responsible for leading to
environment-conditioned traits) non-verbal communication is the raising of
the eyebrows often with an ever-so-slight (or more) tiliting/nodding of the
head in the direction of the target

Now, Dani, you don't seem to not have read any of those numerous books on
variations of mimics and gestures from country to country.
For exemple, when I read your description- raising of the eyebrows often
with an ever-so-slight (or more) tiliting/nodding of the head in the
direction of the target- I thought, huh? Raising of the eyebrows? Whoever
raises their eyebrows when they look at someone they like? I have only seen
that with Latinos. You are Italian, right? In Germany, eyebrows are raised
and chins are lowered in reproof, as in "We are amazed at your behaviour"
(there is no smile)
Having spent some time in Spain and among Argentines, I once met my
(youngish) boss in the subway station, and spontaneously raised my eyebrows
and moved my head slighlty backward with a slight grin- he looked shocked. I
don't know what he understood, from that gesture.
Oscar, for instance, taught us that the cabeceo is done by giving someone a
sexy grin and tilting the head slightly to the side and then pointing with
the chin towards the dance floor in a slightly rogueish way...

What constitutes a "sexy grin" might be enough to open another bag of
worms...

from traveling
Astrid