[Tango-L] Cabeceo

Razor Girl dilettante666 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 24 20:29:55 EDT 2006

Your experience is interesting to me because I didn't
realize that the cabeceo was something that had to be
taught.  Acknowledging someone's glance is quite
common social practice.

Some examples I can think of take place at any
restaurant in the US:

1. You walk into a crowded place looking for your
friends.  You spot them and from across the room they
lock eyes with you, smile, and wave.

2. You are seated and need the assistance of your
waiter, you find them with your eyes and they
acknowledge that you need assistance and come over to
your table.

Perhaps the problem you are having is that you are not
using this method naturally.  Are you smiling at the
woman when you look at her? Do you have the request in
your eye and your posture? Do you confirm that you are
looking at her when she looks back?  I find it hard to
believe that all eyes are averted.

Before I had even learned about the cabeceo I
recognized as a female that the key to being asked to
dance was in body language.  How one sits is very
important, it's similar to flirting.  A woman has the
choice with her body language in whether or not to
look available.  It's not an overt thing, more of a
open body language sort of thing.  Arms should not be
crossed, attention shouldn't be focused on any one
thing, she should not be frowning, she should sit up
straight and be attentive but not overly eager.
Conversly, if she is not interested in dancing she can
easily say so with her body language.

Regards,
Rose
Portland, OR