[Tango-L] Cabaceo and rocket science

Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~ dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
Sat Jun 24 16:38:52 EDT 2006

Ahaaaah... Astrid-san, gotcha! ;-)

  Great! I expected someone might refer to the difference in culture.

  Well, having been invloved in the Martial Arts (karate actually) for 34 years (I started as a young kid, I hasten to add :-)) and having been in Japan for Wado Karate World Championships on more than just a couple of occasions, I do - to a limit - know Japanese culture (not as well as you, of course).

  I agree also with to what you refer about the Japanese etiquette inherent in their culture (so there's no need for any Japanese tanguero-sans to write in to 'have-a-go' at me). :-0

  However, it is scientific anthropological FACT that the inherent method of INTRA-SPECIES (regardless of culture - which is responsible for leading to environment-conditioned traits) non-verbal communication is the raising of the eyebrows often with an ever-so-slight (or more) tiliting/nodding of the head in the direction of the target.

  Now, although I stressed "intra-species", it is primarily anthropologically applied to the human species. However, in a zoo in (I think) New York, there was a gorilla displaying many human traits. This was apparently a fascinating discovery. Out of all the human-like traits displayed, this gorilla took the scientific world by storm because of the trait of raising the eyebrows and tilting/nodding the head in recognition/acknowledgement of people (scientists/keepers) it seemingly recognised. The reason is that this trait is not just a cultural one but a - generalised - HUMAN one. Therefore, it is the method by which humans would NATURALLY communicate should all other methods of human communication be compromised.

  Incidentally, this gorilla responded very interestingly to tango music. On one occasion, when some tango was being played in the vicinity of the gorilla's enclosure, the gorilla actually grabbed a keeper and proceeded to perform a series of enrosques, sacadas and barridas then entering into a wonderful sequence of giros culminating in the mother of all colgadas (eat you heart out, Chicho!)... to the delight, amazement and glee of the shocked zoo-visitors, some of whom had to be taken away by ambulance and resuscitated because due to over-excitement induced hyperventilation!

  Actually, for those gullible members of this List, the last paragraph was all rubbish! >:-)))))

  However, there are numerous anthropology research texts and psychology references available - "Manwatching" etc etc etc ... many of which touch on or, in some cases, delve in depth on this subject. I'm sorry, but I don't have any specific references to hand.

  In summary, the automatic raising of the eyebrows while (often) simultaneously nodding/tilting the head in the direction of the target person is a normal, natural and inherent human trait INDEPENDENT of internationally differering cultures. [Come to think of it, aren't most of us even on nodding terms with a fried egg in the mornings? See? it crosses all levels :-)  ]
  Furthermore, it is thus a natural subconscious and/or conscious method of communicating acknowledgement and, depending upon intent, many other emotions/specific information.

  I send you a nod of my very best wishes :-)))

  Noddy
  (aka Dani Iannarelli)
  http://www.tango-la-dolce-vita.eu

astrid <astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp> wrote:

> There is no secret weapon of tango destruction at work here.
>
> Stop making a big ridiculous fuss over what amounts to exactly... and I
mean EXACTLY... the same as casual non-verbal acknowledgement.

Well, Dani,
Oscar has been trying for years to teach Japanese the cabeceo. You see
really odd forms here when people try. Weird waves of the hand, pinched
smiles... Japanese culture does not come with meaningful looks into the eyes
unless you are about to walk off together to the next... never mind. (feel
free to ask what behind the scenes)
Does not work. People still bow and/or hold out their hand. Or they say
"odorimasho?".

And I think, rather than all this artificial rehearsed small talk ("Do you
dance close embrace?" "What about open embrace then?" By this time I would
be so put off I wouldn't want to do any embrace at all) , if you want to
make an impression, why don't you just do what any good Neanderthal would
do, bring your club, bash her and drag her off to the dance floor by her
hair..???

Cheers, Dani

Astrid