[Tango-L] Cabaceo and rocket science

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Jun 24 14:23:56 EDT 2006

>   There is no secret weapon of tango destruction at work here.
>
>   Stop making a big ridiculous fuss over what amounts to exactly... and I
mean EXACTLY... the same as casual non-verbal acknowledgement.

Well, Dani,
Oscar has been trying for years to teach Japanese the cabeceo. You see
really odd forms here when people try. Weird waves of the hand, pinched
smiles... Japanese culture does not come with meaningful looks into the eyes
unless you are about to walk off together to the next... never mind. (feel
free to ask what behind the scenes)
Does not work. People still bow and/or hold out their hand. Or they say
"odorimasho?".

And I think, rather than all this artificial rehearsed small talk ("Do you
dance close embrace?" "What about open embrace then?" By this time I would
be so put off I wouldn't want to do any embrace at all) , if you want to
make an impression, why don't you just do what any good Neanderthal would
do, bring your club, bash her and drag her off to the dance floor by her
hair..???

Cheers, Dani

Astrid