[Tango-L] Finnish Tango

Rcgimmi@aol.com Rcgimmi at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 12:58:42 EDT 2006

By default, I seem to be the local authority on Finnish tango.  I was at the
Tangomarkkinat in Seinajoki, Finland, for it's 20th anniversary in 2004.  I
went again last year and I am planning on being at the festival again, this
year.   (Please email me if you are going to be there, too!)

My apologies for coming to this discussion a bit late.  (I had trouble
getting on the distribution list.)  The following text is a reprint of a message I
posted on the Portland, Oregon, tango discussion list in February 2005.  It
contains a lot of information that you might find useful if you are going or
thinking about going.  (Info is at the bottom of fhis letter.)

In addition to dancing in Finland, I've also danced in Buenos Aires for three
months.  Although tango is the official dance of both Argentina and Finland,
their tangos are very different.

Kiitos,

Richard Gimmi (Bridal Veil, Oregon)

__________________

Which country has a population of only 5,000,000 but has over 10,000 tango
halls?
Tango is the official national dance of which European country?
Which country holds the world's biggest annual tango festival?  (Hint:
Attendance in 2004 was 110,000.)

The answer to all of the above questions is, "Finland."

If you have any interest in the annual tango festival, the Tangomarkkinat,
please read on.

TANGOMARKKINAT HOUSING, 6-10 July 2005   (THIS YEAR I THINK IT RUNS FROM 5-9
JULY)

The annual tango festival is called the "Tangomarkkinat" and it will be held
in the town of Seinajoki from 6-10 July 2005.  The town has only 30,000
permanent residents.  There are not enough hotel rooms to accomodate everyone at the
festival; so, people usually rent a room or an apartment from someone who
owns a house there.  The deadline for making Tangomarkkinat housing arrangements
is late March.  In April, the organizers start making housing assignments.

If you are interested in attending the festival, I suggest contacting Elina
Jarvinen in Seinajoki.  Her email address is:  elina.jarvinen at epmatkailu.fi.
(IMPORTANT:  Email that originates from America Online cannot be received at
that address.  If AoL is your ISP, create a Yahoo account and write to her using
a Yahoo address.  I know the Yahoo mail is functional.)

The maximum charge for a room during the festival is 46e/day.  It is possible
to stay for a few days preceding and following Tangomarkkinat.  I found the
Finns to be friendly; and, staying with a family enabled me to experience a bit
of Finnish life firsthand.

TANGOMARKKINAT GENERAL INFO

The Tangomarkkinat is a huge affair for the Finns.  It hosts both a dance and
a singing competition.  The winning man and woman are crowned the "Tango
King" and "Tango Queen."   These are paid positions and they will spend the next
year performing across the country.

Based on my observations, the majority of the 100,000+ people who attend the
festival are there to watch or listen to performances, not dance.  Almost all
of them are Finns.  Dances where the public may participate generally run from
10:00AM until 4:00AM.  (Yes, that's 18hrs at a pop.)  Music is usually live.

There is always more than enough room to dance on Tangokatu, "Tango Street."
The indoor dances at Atriahali on Friday and Saturday nights are -- by far --
the most crowded dance floors I have seen in my life.  Dress is casual but
neat and clean.  Cigarette smoke is not a problem at any of the venues.  Finnish
honesty is legendary and crime is rare.

It is possible to buy a dance pass for 73e that will get you free access to
all the festival dances plus transit through Tangokatu.  Get one of these
passes, if you go.  I believe the pass will also get you free passage on the Tango
Bus, which shuttles between the venues.

The official website of the Tangomarkkinat is:
http://www.tangomarkkinat.fi/english/tm/programme.htm

DANCES AT TANGOMARKKINAT

The dances are about 60% tangos, 20% foxtrot, 10% swing, 10% waltz and 5%
yenka.  If you don't already know how to foxtrot, I highly recommend learning the
dance before you go to the Markkinat.

Finnish tango is **VERY** different than Argentine tango.  For starters, the
embrace is different than the Argentine.  It can be closer than the milonguero
embrace but it is offset to one side by about four inches so you can get your
leg between your partner's legs.  Ochos and the cross do not exist in Finnish
tango.  Tight, fast spins, on the other hand, do exist.  Getting anything
more than 20 minutes of instruction from a teacher at the festival can also be
difficult.  Most Finns don't need lessons to tango.  Learning tango is part of
their normal upbringing.

I found that most of the Finns can follow simple Argentine steps.  Little
things like check steps, corridas and walking outside the frame are about all you
are going to be able to do, anyhow, during peak hours in Atriahali.  Down by
the band end of the floor, the dancers can be packed in like sardines.

In spite of the fact that I had only 9 months of Argentine tango -- plus a
little bit of swing dance experience -- before attending the Tangomarkkinat, I
still had a VERY good time.  I learned, for example, that I could smooch and
tango at the same time!  (Your festival results may vary.  :-)

Some background information on Finnish tango may be found at:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2001/msg01740.html

I would not make this trip if I was planning on learning lots of tango.  On
the other hand, if you want to dance the night away in the land of the midnight
sun, this might be just the thing for you.  Social dance, in general, seems
to be the national sport.  I didn't see another American for almost two weeks,
either.  I was surprised at how many Finns couldn't speak English.  But, if
you speak tango, you should be fine.  :-)

TANGO IN FINLAND

It is impossible to understand the emotional attachment the Finns have to
tango without understanding the catastrophic effect that World War 2 had on the
lives, minds and -- most important -- hearts of every Finn who lived through
that period.  Although the Argentine tango is easily superior to the Finnish
tango, the Finnish claim on the dance, from an emotional standpoint, is second to
none.

Some historical background can be found at:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2001/msg01740.html

I am TENTATIVELY planning on going again this year and taking a video camera
with me.  I'm not ready to play the major leagues down in BsAs.  Yet.  :-)
That will probably have to wait until '06.  Please feel free to contact me at
Rcgimmi at aol.com if you have any questions.

PS.  Ooops.  Forgot to mention one item.  There were a few Finns at the
Tangomarkkinat who were *excellent* ARGENTINE tango dancers.  Many of these dancers
were associated with an Argentine tango club that covers north and central
Finland.  The club is called "Tango Invernal."  The club website, email and
newsletter information can be found at:  http://www.tangoinvernal.fi/indexeng.html