[Tango-L] tango learning concepts

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Sat Jun 17 12:20:02 EDT 2006

Gary,

It might not be possible to learn tango without someone who know how to
dance: teachers and other dancers especially.

I consider myself learning most of the tango without teachers, but I could
not learn it without dancing partners and some extremely good teachers who
gave me "strategic directions". Feel - that what counts. When you dance -
you learn from your partner's condensed and practical knowledge of other
teachers.

You can probably survive without average teachers, if you meet someone
extraordinary at least sometimes and have other dancers dancing with you.
The best thing average teachers do - they MAKE YOU WORK. Well, that is
pretty much could depend on your own will.

Extraordinary means one lesson will turn your life over. It was Brigitta
Winkler for me, Gloria and Eduardo.

You can try it without teachers. If you do not have tango community - make
yourself good at any other dance. - that will greatly help. Gymnastics,
soccer, karate are very good. Goal number one - freedom of legs, and feeling
of the partner.

When people learn tango - they mostly learn movements, rhythm, musicality,
which are general things. You can practice anything available to perfect it:
samba, salsa, flamenco, belly dancing, anything.

Then, buy all, and I mean it: ALL, EVERY ONE of the available tapes. At
least one by one. Start with the oldest, Argentineans. For the community it
is not much of expense. I myself bought about 50.

And study and practice. And be critical.

In studying without teachers you do not have anyone to point at your
mistakes. So it is extremely important to set up the criteria what
constitutes a good dance so you can judge by yourself. It could be: keep
perfect connection all the time, keep good feeling all the time, keep the
sense of dance all the time ( that is why you have to practice other
available dances to find out what it is ), be ready for any unexpected step,
never get lost. Try to change your movements a little bit, variate anything
you do a little all the time. This way you will be able to find a better
way. There is always a better way and there is always another way. And
follow your partner well - like in a mirror, and make it easy for your
partner to follow you.

Bad teachers introduce bad habits, which is very difficult to get rid of. So
it might be not a bad idea to try it without them.

That is all I can say.

Igor.