[Tango-L] Prologue-- vs. Cop-outs

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu Jun 8 14:07:59 EDT 2006

Hey Sergio,

Well, I speak for myself when I say that I'll miss you, and that I wish
you would've stuck around to participate in this forum as it leaves the
7th grade behind.

In the meantime, I'll continue to discuss this dance at the high level
it merits, and if certain thoughts or others go over someone's head,
that's Okay. Plenty escapes me, until I grit my teeth and Learn. Your
advice is well-intentioned, I'm sure; but condescension has never been
of service to anyone, whereas the too-advanced discussion has
occasionally done the "unqualified" listener a great deal of good.

By the same token, if you find the discourse here to be over your own
head, or to be focused on ideas you'd rather not give the time of day,
please don't pin it on me. I'm trying to take this dance seriously as an
art, and to write about it with the same sobriety and acumen that other
arts (painting, literature, cinema) have attracted from their
intelligent audiences, apprentices, and masters. One measure of an art's
vitality is the strength and interest of its criticism, its theory, its
ability to understand itself-- as present in the reviews and secondary
literature once called "the second life of art" by Italian poet Eugenio
Montale. If I can contribute to that as a side-effect of dancing five
nights a week, I'm content.

Moreover, we often can't reflect on our dancing while our dance shoes
are on, because a characteristic of Good dancing is that we're Not
thinking about it. That doesn't mean we should make Not Thinking a
habit. Rather, we should use our time away from the pista to consider
what the hell we're doing there, and whether we're really pushing
ourselves hard enough. If we don't enlist our minds in the struggle to
advance, step by faltering step, on the path to beauty, then after a
certain amount of experience we'll only make progress by accident.

That's my perspective anyway. Many dancers aren't trained (self-taught,
whatever) in other arts, but many are, and I'll continue to import
critical standards for the sake of those who can benefit from it,
whatever their background (or future) may be.

What I'll stop doing is feeling bad every time someone cops out because
I've taken the initiative. In all honesty, I've merely struck a few
pathetic matches in what some people can't recognize to be a kitchen.
You can accuse me of arson if you like, but I'm hungry, and the pot-luck
is on. Everybody's invited.

So, best of luck in finding a good use of your time. I know I've found a
good use of mine.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC