[Tango-L] Surrender: Trying again

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 13:26:35 EDT 2006

Hi Jake,

after reading your post, I got this impression, perhaps falsely so, that
leaders are not enjoying tango at all! I am pretty sure every follower
respects the responsibility the leader has and furthermore appreciates it.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a milonga where I saw a much older man,
tall and lean, dance with an equally tall and lean woman who obviously had
just been through treatment for cancer, her hair had that new fuzzy wispy
growth and she had a certain sickly pallor. She rested her forehead on his
neck while he sang to the music beautifully as they danced. It was so
apparent that the only thought he had in his mind was to take her mind off
her misery. I kept trying not to cry while I watched them.

>From a follower's point of view, we have to think too, we have to keep
super-alert of every nuance of a leader's movement. Granted, we don't have
the responsibility to create the dance but we certainly do have a
responsibility to respond. It goes both ways. I am able to surrender
entirely to the mood, the music, the smell of my partner's cologne, the calm
confidence of his embrace and yet also maintain a hypervigilance of every
single move he makes. To surrender doesn't mean to lose consciousness. To
surrender means to give into the experience.

Caroline