[Tango-L] Tango Roles-A learning moment comes before a teaching moment

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Mon Jun 5 01:50:50 EDT 2006

Dear  Derik,
Before you go, if  you must, consider for once that the world does not
revolve around you beliefs,  or mine, no matter how strongly we might believe them,
nor how much we believe  the rest of the world might need to believe what we
believe.
Also with the  absence of death there are probably no real absolutes. We are
a product of our  environment, not of solitude.  We  learn by listening and
responding, we learn from others, not that what  they say is right, but what is
right is the fact they said it.  Even when they may be wrong in my mind,  I
learn something, I am able to grow.
I am not a Tango  teacher, self taught or taught, I enjoy the dance, the
music and the history of  the culture that begat Tango.  I want to  learn and
experience more. Someone once defined an expert as "the person  present with the
most knowledge of a subject".  This List has as many experts as it has
neophytes, students as well as teachers. It is a great mix of people with rich
opinions and knowledge.  If we all  agreed with you, or if they all agreed with me,
the list would evaporate as  there would be nothing to discuss, nothing to
debate.
While I prefer  rationale discussion, the occasional passion of a belief is
great also. What is  disheartening and not productive is when we start shooting
at each and not the  subject at hand. Passion in argument is exhilarating,
but when it digresses into  personal attacks and when we start taking comments,
whether intended or not,  personally we are raising to the bait and we lose.
While I personally  have thought your methodology of writing is baiting and
arrogant at times, you  do make many good points and I have learned from you.
It just upsets me is that  I almost miss them because of all the chaff you
throw out but that is you. We  can't nor should not try to change that, only you
can. That is what choice is  about.
Just some thoughts  before you fade into the sunset
Bill in Seattle