[Tango-L] tango moment

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Sun Jun 4 14:18:04 EDT 2006

Hi Jackie,

Very nice point.

This reminds me of an astute comment a friend of mine once made to me.
She said that there are three major things that attract people to the
dance: the music, the connection, and the moves. (There may have been a
fourth, but I can't recall the conversation well enough, alas.) She
pinpointed me as one who dances for the music: no matter what it is, I'm
going to connect to it, dance to it, live for it. Others, she advised
me-- and a large portion of others-- dance for the connection. They want
it, no matter what else they get. (I've since seen a few people who
dance primarily for the moves-- they're the ones who have no connection
to the social circuit, and seemingly no connection to the music. A lot
of stage performance is like this, I find.)

Anyway, I thought the notion a wise one. It seems like it would apply
especially well to discussions of the "tango moment" (whatever those
words mean to you, so long as they mean something), because it seems
like at such times, Everything becomes suffused with the main event, as
it were. Also, I suspect that this way of looking at things can help us
better understand how there are different kinds (and degrees) of tango
moments-- a clarification I stumbled through in a prior post on the subject.

Any other thoughts?

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC