[Tango-L] tango moment

jackie ling wong jackie.wong at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 4 12:42:11 EDT 2006

ummmm...  i'm thinking that because this person in the psychology
field that she would like the moment described in a language she
would understand...  so here's my attempt

a friend of mine is a rock climber and he is very much driven by his
struggle to overcome his fear of heights.  we decided that much of
life is driven by fears...  fear of rejection... fear of intimacy...
fear of failure... fear of achievement... the list goes on and on...

so how does this relate to tango?  when i explain tango to beginners
i mention connection and then ask what do they think they need to be
connected to...  most people say your partner and the music.  i also
add the floor, the people around you, and also the spaces between the
people around you... but most important you must be connected to
yourself...

when you dance you bring your issues with you.  we have a student who
is in extensive therapy who has issues of trust...  and it shows in
her dance...  not only does she not trust her partner to lead her and
keep her safe, she doesn't trust herself.  we can talk ourselves
until we're blue in the face about technique but nothing will change
until she trusts.

so first for the tango moment to happen, you have to overcome
relevant personal fears and subsequent insecurities and find your
"center".. the emotional/spiritual center...  you need to be
comfortable with yourself and open to the moment.  that complete
trust and abandonment of fears is what makes tango so attractive to
me.  walking into someone's arms and being there 100 % and feeling
them respond in the same way is magical.

jackie
www.tangopulse.net