[Tango-L] women leading me in NYC

burl burl burlq7 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 19:22:25 EDT 2006

Now that all the insults are pretty much past on this topic--here is the upside(at least in new york city):

  Women don't seem to realize when they are being led by a guy with bad  dance manners.  In general a guy who grabs half the floor is  considered good--

  "I mean wow, I felt like I was floating on air--he had such great moves..."

  From the followers point of view, if I don't collide with anyone and my  leader moves me all over the floor I figure he is pretty good.

  In new york we put up the the latest Male Flail for a time--he is new,  he is probably young and handsome and he is usually pretty good.   We need more leaders, we don't want to shut him down--we just hope that  eventually he will catch on to the fact he is hogging the floor.

  Even a regular leader with a new flame we will put up with--okay, so he  wants to show off to his new beau for a while, we understand this, we  will cut him some slack.  He gets a few victory Thandas (sp?).

  The remarkable thing is, sooner or later just about every guy figures  out that we are putting up with him, he calms down, he realizes that he  is doing lots of wide moves (which look great--I am not saying these  guys aren't good) at the expense of the rest of us.

  The women just love these new guys, because well, we (by we I mean the  men who lead in New York) give them some slack, a sort of newbie  license.

  In time they start to wonder--"I know these guys are as good as me, why don't they do some colgattas (sp?)".

  Now if a women leads (other than at a practica) she quickly realizes  the patience the NYC leader sports every night.  Each week there  is some new guy we have to stand behind, wait for him to complete 5  turns and a flip-flop.

  I feel like saying "see?" now next time your favorate new hombre makes  you think you are flying around the floor--just remember, we could all  be doing the same thing.

  So please, the more women who lead on a crowded floor (with two new "fabulous" dancers) the better.

  yours
  Burleigh