[Tango-L] Tango-moment

andrea ako31 at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 07:39:13 EDT 2006

hi tine-

there is a buddhist psychologist named mark epstein who wrote about a
similar experience in 'going to pieces without falling apart":

"i noticed how suddenly quiet my mind had become. my everyday
thoughts had vanished, and the tension in my shoulders was gone. i
was momentarily undefended and curiously at peace. i wasnt trying to
relax, and i wasnt trying not to relax. everything was floating. i
was no longer centered in my thinking mind"

this is the closest to a tango moment as i can think of.

my personal description is that it is the experience of being
completely in the moment w/o experiencing the 'i' that is me. my day
to day self is out of the way. it is a series of pleasurable moments
that are put together w/o the judging or observing mind. it is the
pure experience of my body moving w/o any effort, my thoughts w/o
tension, my conciousness w/o words, i am one in myself and in the
world. i call tango my valium.

( i await a comment from derick how its different for men than for
women, different and better in argentina, and 14 ways i SHOULD
improve upon this)

a n d r e a