[Tango-L] Taxi Dancers, BA

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sat Jul 29 13:04:23 EDT 2006

A couple of things, Alberto, I need to correct you a bit...

Many of the afternoon milongas let the retired people in early at no
charge or for 3 pesos.  This is not advertised and is only for the gente
mayor who are regulars.  If the milonga starts at 4, they are allowed in
free before 4:30.

The well known teachers and professional dancers are let in at no charge
to the milongas.  Roberto has never been charged to enter any milonga.
Depending on the milonga when I am with him, I am also allowed to enter
at no charge or for a reduced charge.  At some milongas the hosts even
give us a bottle of wine.  We have been the guests of many professionals
at some of the shows as well.

There are taxi dancers here in Buenos Aires.  Some of the older guys who
dance well but are on pensions will accompany a woman to the milonga.
There are also some younger guys who do this as well.  I have found the
younger guys to be very nice, courteous, and not always the best
dancers, but probably better than the dancers of where the lady came
from.  There are guys who dance well who need to make some extra money,
they are also nice, courteous, and with honorable intentions.  Some of
the professional dancers also hire themselves out but at very high rates
as they really do not want to do it.

These guys except for the professionals charge 25 pesos per hour. They
have a 100 peso minimum. The professionals charge 200 pesos an hour with
a 2 hour minimum.  (Yes, women pay it.)  They usually do not work past 1
am.  The clock begins when you meet your dancer.  The person paying
assumes ALL the expenses. This means that if you want him to pick you up
in a taxi you pay for the taxi.  If you want to have dinner you pay not
only for both dinners, but also for his time.  You pay for the milonga
entrances, and also for any drinks.  One women got angry when she found
out she had to pay all the expenses.  I told her it is a business
transaction not a date.

There are women taxi dancers as well.  I have on occasion been asked to
accompany someone to the milonga and dance with them.  I know other
women who do this as well.  With the taxi dancers I know, male or
female, they are NOT prostitutes.  They provide a service to people who
would like to be accompanied to the milonga. It is very important to
understand this.  It is insulting to be expected to provide these
additional requests whether you are male or female.  The people who do
this professionally do not even think of selling themselves as
prostitutes.  They have reputations and want them to remain good.

The dancers I know do not ask for money at the milongas. They may see a
woman who is not dancing, invite her to dance.  He may dance several
tandas with her. During this time he mentions that if she would like to
have him accompany her sometime, he is available.  The men I know
arrange to do this at a later time, not at the same milonga.  There are
some that offer their services on the spot.  You should never feel
pressured.  You pay after the services are rendered.