[Tango-L] Fwd: Embellishment Queens

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 27 15:53:20 EDT 2006

>Too true! It's so upsetting when you dance with a
>woman who thinks she can only assert herself by
>cramming in as many times she can the same 3-4
>embellishments as often & as mechanically as possible
>without paying any attention to the music! Only 5% of
>the population are tone deaf [amusia]; do they all
>dance tango?

The problem with too many "adorno queens" is not so much that they perform
so many adornos in a repetitive and autonomous fashion. This is bad enough
to be sure, but the real problem behind this symptom is that they have not
learned some basic tango steps and have not learned the core of tango. I
think that some ladies overdo adornos or do them regardless of the lead
because they simply don't know how to dance very well. They've learned to do
adornos in lieu of learning the lead & follow or the code of the tango.

This is also a problem with men who confuse the lead & follow and the tango
dance with a the performance of a bunch of disconnected or poorly placed
steps. Usually something they learned in some workshop by a famous
teacher/performer. I do not blame the teachers of these workshops, after
all, most of these workshops are geared and advertised to the more advanced
dancers who can learn more technique and perfect their dance by applying the
principles behind the workshop material. The problem is that the over-eager
beginner or intermediate level students rush to these classes, mimic the
instructor without true understanding of the technique and principles, and
then proceed to make the half learned figure a part of their repertory.

When I have students who are really talented or who dedicate themselves to
learn, I often ask them to make their figures smaller, more subtle and
precise. It's amazing how much of a challenge that can be. This is of course
much more important to the less experienced student. Personally, I really
believe that the key to the tango dance is the music and the understanding
of the music. I spend a lot of time teaching and explaining the simple parts
that make the heart of the dance. For me, if a person can reliably walk a
few steps, lead or follow back ochos and simple partial turns to the left
and the right, he or she is well on their way to being a good tango dancer.
Practically all the firuletes, amagues, adornos, etc. are actually
impediments to learning for a beginner. These are generally very difficult
to do properly if the students don't have a command of the rhythmic dance.

When I dance with a woman who exhibits these undesirable traits, I try to
accommodate her and give her places to do her shtick so it does not look bad
or feel bad. The main thing for dancing the man's part in these cases is to
make sure that her dancing interferes with the lead in the least perceptible
way from the inside. Also, try not to lead anything that produces unexpected
of awkward results. This can be done after a few leads are misinterpreted of
ignored. Just go along with the woman and try to finish the dance (or tanda
if you're chivalrous) without looking too bad as this hurts both partners.

Cheers,

Manuel