[Tango-L] Choreography. And Improvisation.

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Jul 26 16:09:01 EDT 2006

"I'm still under the impression that choreography is generally referring to
prepared, rehearsed performance though I think one could correctly speak of
improvised choreography. "

I think the same. There is a paradox here as you mentioned. I'd like to
emphasize that.

The paradox here is that yes, it does not necessary to be rehearsed !

Knowing principles of creating a performance dance, an artist can make an
improvisational dance right on spot, which is choreographed right in that
moment.

Choreography is an art of making the great-impact dance out of all sorts of
dance elements taking in account the situation in the place of performance.
Improvised or rehearsed it does not matter very much. It can be totally
improvised dance, but at the same time highly choreographed.

Choreography and improvisation are not antonyms, they are on different
levels. Choreography lies on the level higher. You can not counterpose them.

In a sense, a tango leader is the one who is a choreographer in tango dance.
A choreographer who's audience and at the same time a principal dancer is
his partner.

Igor.