[Tango-L] Choreography. And Improvisation.

Jonathan Thornton obscurebardo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 15:50:29 EDT 2006

Igor,

The first antonyms that came to mind were prepared or rehearsed. Wikipedia
has this to say:

*Improvisation* is the act of making something up as it is performed. This
term is usually used in the context of
music<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music>,
theater <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theater> or
dance<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance>
.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvise.

Think of the difference between the performance of a string quartet and a
jazz quartet jamming.
Performance tango is like the former and dancing social tango more like the
latter.

I'm still under the impression that choreography is generally referring to
prepared, rehearsed performance though I think one could correctly speak of
improvised choreography.

Improvisation has a lot of meanings that are related but with nuances of
distinction.

Jonathan Thornton

--
"The tango can be debated, and we have debates over it,
but it still encloses, as does all that which is truthful, a secret."