[Tango-L] Can we please just dance?

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Tue Jul 25 22:51:42 EDT 2006

  Vals is the most difficult of the rhythms to dance
> simply because it changes rhythms and is not consistent.

You think so? Vals is basically 1-2-3, isn't it? It is different from tango,
yes, and needs getting used to. But for some former ballroom dancers it is
often the only one of the tango dances they can manage rhythmwise, in the
beginning.

> A good teacher works with their students to first understand the music
> and then to move with it.

Very good point ! Dance is a physical expression of the music. I have never
understood why some teachers, esp. stage dancers I suppose, teach by first
explaining the step without the music, then have people practise the step
without music, and finally turn on the music. When I ask, they say:"It is
easier to do the step without the music first, because with music you might
get it all wrong and not be able to follow the music." But then, what is the
point of the movement? They give students the idea that the steps are more
important than the music and the rhythm. And we all know where that can lead
to...

 You can know all the steps in the world, all
> the names for beats, rhythms, syncopation, but it will not help you if
> you do not understand how to listen to the music.

Exactly !

 Sadly this is rarely
> ever taught.

Yes. Have you seen all those Trenner videos of really famous teachers, who
stand in front of the camera explaining, and then walk with their partner
around the room, doing more and more complicated moves, and then, in one
extreme case, only the last few minutes of the video of a group lesson the
music is turned on, and the moves are finally starting to make sense?

  Personally for me, poor posture and a weak axis can be
> forgiven if the dancer understands the music and can transmit it.

Yes! This is the kind of (often shy) beginner I will ask and encourage to
dance again and again in the practicas because I know he has potential.

 You
> can have all the steps in the world and know how to expertly execute
> them, but if you don't do it with the music....que pena!

That's what I am saying. Thank you, Deby

Astrid