[Tango-L] Can we please just dance?

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Tue Jul 25 19:46:13 EDT 2006

Arrghhh all this arguing about syncopation, doubletime, triple time,
makes me crazy.  Vals is the most difficult of the rhythms to dance
simply because it changes rhythms and is not consistent.  Once you learn
to understand the music (which does not mean learning dictionary
meanings of words used to describe beats or rhythms) your body should
naturally move to the music with the change of the cadencia.

A good teacher works with their students to first understand the music
and then to move with it.  You can know all the steps in the world, all
the names for beats, rhythms, syncopation, but it will not help you if
you do not understand how to listen to the music.  Sadly this is rarely
ever taught.  Personally for me, poor posture and a weak axis can be
forgiven if the dancer understands the music and can transmit it.  You
can have all the steps in the world and know how to expertly execute
them, but if you don't do it with the music....que pena!