[Tango-L] syncopation

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Mon Jul 24 14:20:20 EDT 2006

Hi Trini,

Answering your question about [ / / / _ ] dancing in a rhythm like [ / _
/ _ ] is really quite tricky, because I think it depends entirely on how
one is dancing. Let's take one situation alone, and alter the notation
somewhat to show dynamics (i.e., emphasis as well as stepping)...

Situation.
The 4/4 music is already syncopated. It's got a "surprise" stress,
perhaps a fortissimo, like this pattern:
   a _ a _ | a A a _
You hear this in Biagi all the time, especially in measures at the end
of, say, a four- or eight-measure melodic unit. (More typically, his
band goes [ a A a A ] in the final measure of such units.) Now, I feel
several ways about dancing to this... If I syncopate my step according
to the (A) and give it the proper emphasis, I'm pretty much
syncopating... If, however, I step [a a a _ ] to music that goes [ a A a
_ ], I'd say I'm merely moving in a momentary cut-rhythm, or using
double time. Double-time means stepping on an offbeat as well as an
on-beat, as I pointed out before: that's why it seems to be about speed.
Syncopation is stepping _against_ the normal tempic pattern, by moving
"Instead" rather than "As well."

This example, with its two variations, is still, however, dancing to the
beat. The beat is syncopated, so a dancer matching it is dancing
syncopated. That's one option, but not always a strong one, I think.

More interesting to me is when the dancer syncopates Against the music
itself, even against syncopated music, which is what happens when you
dance, with purpose, to the base pattern of [ a _ a _ ] in, e.g., Biagi,
when he's all [ a A a A ] or even [ a A _ A ].

People who aren't listening, but start off dancing to the beat, do this
every night. A more creative example would involve [syncopated dancing]
syncopated Against [syncopated music]. This is often what happens if you
dance to melodies, and punctuate small harmonic events which the music
does not, while resisting the beat. It takes a fine ear. Example from
Pugliese's "La yumba":
   Music vampeth:
      a _ a _ | a _ a _ | a A a A | a A A _ | _ A a A (etc.-- this is a
rubato passage, towards the end, but the same rhythmic fabric appears in
other places)
   Dancers move to:
      a _ a _ | a A _ A | A _ _ a | A _ _ a | A _ a _ (etc.)

Notice that the dancers here take the unit (a A) straight from the
music, and drop it into different places. I think it's necessary to do
this sort of thing if your musicality is going to get this complex, but
still be "dancing to the music." The signature gestures in the music
ought to be preserved in the dance (albeit in different moments), if
these departures are used, to maintain aesthetic integrity of the whole.
Others may disagree, but I think it's a good guideline. It feels good.

Entirely unexplored here (or elsewhere, as far as I can tell) is the
question of the two dancers in the partnership syncopating against each
other, on top of all this. I've been thinking about this particular idea
for months, but haven't had a chance to explore it very deeply at all. I
posted something several weeks ago which referred to a leader dancing to
the bass in Di Sarli's "Corazon" while the follower (led) dances to the
violin solo. I.e., the dancers are no longer stepping in synch at all.
This happens in certain turns already, but not to the degree I'm
thinking of. The only good example I've seen of it so far was in Nick &
Tara's dance to "Ella es asi" at the DC Marathon this year. The opening
of their dance plays with this type of syncopation, or counterpoint
stepping, quite a lot. Curious parties may want to check out the video
posted at unmomento.net as opposed to the one at the Tango Video
Project: the former shows their legs better, even if the angle's not so
dramatic.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC