[Tango-L] syncopation

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 13:24:50 EDT 2006

So this clarifies where exactly the two worlds get
confused, even if dancers correctly use the term syncopa
(which is happening more and more, I think).  I don't think
I had differentiated enough what musicians used.

So what is the musical term, if any, to describe the
strong-strong-strong-weak of a 4 count measure (when the
regular rhythm is strong-weak-strong-weak), such as the
cadence that happens at the end of a phrase?

And to include something Igor mentioned, is there no
syncopation then in vals, since strong-weak-weak is a
normal rhythm?  Is there a term for when the stress on 3-1
as at the end of the bigger phrases (such as A' or B')?

Found this definition of syncopation that sums it up
nicely:
A style used in order to vary position of the stress on
notes so as to avoid regular rhythm. Syncopation is
achieved by accenting a weak instead of a strong beat, by
putting rests on strong beats, by holding on over strong
beats, and by introducing a sudden change of time
signature. This style of composition was exploited to
fullest capabilities by jazz musicians, often in
improvisation.
www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/4688/glossary.htm

Thanks,
Trini de Pittsburgh

--- John Gleeson <johngleeson at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Trini writes:
>
> > Tempo, as I read today in an online dictionary,
> involves
> > the pacing of music, which is independent of rhythm,
> > correct?  So double-time would be like taking a 4
> minute
> > song and playing it in 2 minutes?
> >

> Cutting the playing time (duration) of a tune in half
> could be achieved by doubling the tempo. For example,
> changing the tempo from
> 60bpm (beats per minute) to 120 bpm.
>
> Double-time as used in AT dancing means dancing on the
> normally un-stepped beats. Example:
>     A 4/4 Tango - the "basic" step is danced on the 1 and
> 3 beat (an example!).
>     If you dance on both the 1 and the 2 beat, for
> example, in the AT world that
>     is called double-time.
>
> In the musician's vocabulary (rightly or wrongly),
> "double-time" is often used as a synionim for "cut-time"
> = doubling the tempo,
> and playing in 2/2 time.
>
> John G.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm