[Tango-L] syncopation

Sebastian Arce arcetango at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 03:14:59 EDT 2006

Dear Chris,

There are two big different things, double time... and syncopation I agree.
The therm "Double time" is just duplicating the musical beats within a
rhytmical meassure and that in written music makes only part of the
'alterations du movement' such as Animato, Accelerando, Doppio (your double
time) Pio moto, Piu mosso etc etc .

On the other hand, sincopa is the rhytmical accentuation of the intervalo
beetween the meak and strong beat and that lasts untill the next strong
beat.

Example of a syncopa: Beethoven. Sonate op. 31 no 1. Called 'La boiteuse'
representing the syncopated rhythmical accentuation.

If you are a accomplished musician, think that I doubt myself... for your
reasonings and your way to communicate and share your thoughts, you will
clearly know that if you ask a band to play a 'double time' they will start
to accelerate the stablished tempo... since the remark of 'doppio tempo'
stablishes that there is an alteration of the TEMPO.

To avoid any other missunderstanding, please do not CONFUSE contratempo, and
syncopation. The syncopa extends untill the strong beat, the contratempo
DOESN't. And please... remember that 'doubletempo' is only a remark
regarding the interpretation of the 'movimento'.

As you already have noticed Chris, open books, open your mind and ears...
this might be helpful.

With all my respect,
S.Arce