[Tango-L] syncopation

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sun Jul 23 19:24:00 EDT 2006

Trini wrote:

> Chris, I think you overlooked that Sebastian specified that
> the 2 is a weak beat, not a strong beat.

I think not. Particularly since Sebastian helpfully made clear that his
example was in simple duple time, in which 2 is /always/ a weak beat.

> If 2 is a strong beat, then, it would be a double-time.
> Since 2 is a weak beat, then it is a syncopa.

As I said: Ask three more dance instructors... get probably three more
meanings.

For anyone falling prey to this idea there might be a meaningful difference
depending on the strength of the second beat, try clapping this:

 Sebastian's original   :  1 , 2 , 1 , 2 , 1 , 2

then

 Sebastian's syncopated :  1and2and1and2and1and2

first with 1 and 2 of equal strength, then again with 2 weaker.

See? Don't take anyone's word for it but your own.

Chris