[Tango-L] syncopation

Bruno Romero romerob at telusplanet.net
Sun Jul 23 01:22:55 EDT 2006

The subject of syncopation may be as clear as mud, when we try to explain
the way we dance in musical or technical terms. Tango is danced syncopated
because the music is syncopated, and the dancer follows the music with
degrees of syncopation. The confusion appears to come about when trying to
explain the dance in musical terms. For example, in a lesson usually we are
presented with explanations to the way we would naturally follow the music
with technical terms, which end up confusing students.

In reality, we dance in a syncopated manner when we follow the music in time
with steps in a manner, which accentuates the changes in rhythm, the
pauses/suspension in the music, the parallel rhythms to contra-tempo:
against the beat.

Syncopation in tango music is or appears to be a collective term for pauses,
suspensions, rhythms played to contra-tempo, parallel rhythms, etc. The root
of syncopation in Tango, I have read, comes from times when blacks performed
field work/labor, when during their songs and music a designated person will
stand up and hit on wooden sticks at unpredicted times. This would be
followed by a suspension of the music, and singing. As Tango music evolved
tango composers did not favor including suspensions and unpredictable
changes in the tango music. It was more easy listening and easy dancing. If
tango is nowadays danced syncopated the early tango music must have been
quite a challenge to dance.

Cheers,

Bruno