[Tango-L] tango to the blues (and ragtime )

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 19:52:59 EDT 2006

Last week I wrote jokingly that maybe blues had influenced tango. The truth is not so
  far away.
  While researching the beginnings of West Coast Swing I came across the following.

  Jelly Roll "Morton was also adept at using the habanera rhythm (his "jazz tangos")
  like"Mamanita", "Creepy Feeling", and the tango blues "New Orleans Joys" - or "New
  Orleans Blues" - are fine examples), which in jazz soon became the Charleston rhythm."
  Also, in writing about Ragtime, which "began to be published in the 1890s", "an Afro-
  American version of the polka" , "almost immediately became a kind of national, even
  worldwide craze". If you listen to TodoTango, you have probably heard tangos and
  thought (if you are familiar with ragtime), "Hey, that sounds like a ragtime!"
  I have heard tangos that were definitely jazz like.
  Does anyone know of any tangos that sound bluesy, or that "swing"?

  quotes from The revised edition of "The Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz" 1987