[Tango-L] tango to the blues

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 14 15:21:23 EDT 2006

Hello Trini,

bands?"

I probably should have said "southern blues"....I just love good blues,
no matter where it's from, but the tradition has its home in the south.
B B King, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Albert King (Mississippi), Ray
Charles (Georgia), Buddy Guy (Louisiana), Freddy King, Johnny Winter,
Stevie Ray Vaughn, T-Bone Walker (Texas). All of these guys have a lot
of stuff that's great for tango, sometimes maybe not the original
recording, but their stuff has been recycled many times by many artists.
Not all good blues works, sometimes it's too slow, or too fast, but if
the bpm is right, it's got a feel that no other music has, that can
provide lots of opportunity for interpretation/expression.

Much of the time I go dancing, it's just jam sessions where artists
change all the time. Texas seems to be the breeding ground the last few
years (probably due to the huge Austin music sing and the Kerrville folk
festival), of some of the best newer blues bands. Last weekend danced to
Mark May www.markmay.com . I also like Carolyn Wonderland
www.carolynwonderland.com , Hadden Sayers Band www.haddensayers.com ,
Delbert McClinton www.delbertmcclinton.com , Chris Duarte......and many
more (all the previous guys are from Texas). Tab Benoit from Louisiana.
Jonny Lang from N Dakota. Colin James from Canada.

But it doesn't "have" to be strict blues...I like Tracy Chapman ("You're
the One"), Sarah McLachlan, Lucinda Williams, Norah Jones, Sting, Karen
Savoca, Cindy Kalmenson, Boz Scaggs, Bob Seger... folky country rock/pop
influenced by the blues....

Regards to all,

Michael

Ps to Steve Pastor---Hey, I like that Keith Anderson!