[Tango-L] Connection, how do you teach it?

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Fri Jul 21 12:54:38 EDT 2006

"the first problem is to define what connection is.  " -- WBSmith

You are probably right. We ( I am not afraid to say "we" in this case, am
I?) know that something called  "connection" exists and is important. But
what is it?

Michael gave a very good method in close embrace, thank you!:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/%7Ellynch/Tango-L/2006/msg02428.html
Trini was talking about very interesting method of application of listening:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/%7Ellynch/Tango-L/2006/msg02430.html - I am sure
it works!
And Andy was talking how to establish a connection with a balloon ( with the
help of a balloon, sorry :) )
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/%7Ellynch/Tango-L/2006/msg02434.html - Thank you
for reminding! This is a good method, I've seen something like this before.

I made myself a working definition of connection. Probably it is not the
same like other people think, that is why I brought up this issue. And this
little discussion already was helpful ( as any exchange of e-mails should
be, right? )

The connection is a mean, a physical mean of communication. It is a channel
of transmission of all signals. There are many parts in this but one is
present: a good physical contact: not too strong, and not too soft. Another
one is mental effort to keep the connection, at least until it is perfected.

It is the requirement for sensuality: otherwise how can you feel it? It is a
requirement for musicality: otherwise how can you dance it? It is a
requirement for "listening" or following: otherwise how can you hear it?

Good connection allows to feel the partner and without that there is no
couple dancing. Loose connection disrupts everything. Too strong connection
suppresses everything.

But I have difficulty how to explain it to others in open embrace
specifically.

Any more opinions?

Igor.