[Tango-L] secrecy

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Thu Jul 20 13:04:02 EDT 2006

Melanie Eskoff wrote:
> I find it interesting that people like this little thing that goes,"if it's a private post,
> then it's private."  I have never knowingly shared a private post until now.

> I found this one too off topic to justify honoring the code of silence.

Then you're mistaken. Private e-mail doesn't have to be on-topic, and it is even *illegal*
for you, stricto sensu, to forward it, given the original author has copyright on it.

Of course, there are no monetary damages, and if he's really written the mail, he can't
sue you for libel either, but that doesn't mean it's left to your judgement to decide
whether it's ethical to forward private mail without permission: it is not, under no
circumstance, unless for some reason the content of the mail is such that you would have
to alert authorities to avoid harm to others than the author of the mail.