[Tango-L] appropriate? I don't think so.

Iron Logic railogic at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 19:40:13 EDT 2006

Dear Melanie,
  I think its inapropriate, the KS translation is poor;)

  you said >>>
  ~~~~~~
  Connection and communication in dance is not just a product of greater square inches of body contact.
  ~~~~~~~
  I agree and the tango embrace says something about of ones love making style... there must be some advantages with open embrace;))
  IL

Melanie Eskoff <melanieeskoff at austin.rr.com> wrote:
  Dear list,

Just received this private note in response to my post about "connection" in dance. Am curious to have your opinion.
Melanie

Body contact , connection , embrace....

A chapter is devoted to embrace in a book ...... Kamasutra text as translated by Richard Burton , not the actor, but the british army officer that also translate
the 1001 nights in the beginning of the XX century.

This is part of what the many unknown writers of original Kamasutra consider about embrace

So much theory ... so little practice ......

warm regards
alberto gesualdi
buenos aires

CHAPTER II. OF THE EMBRACE

Now the embrace which indicates the mutual love of a man and woman who have come together is of four kinds:

Touching
Rubbing
Piercing
Pressing

The action in each case is denoted by the meaning of the word which stands for it.

When a man under some pretext or other goes in front or alongside of a woman and touches her body with his own, it is called the `touching embrace'.

When a woman in a lonely place bends down, as if to pick up something, and pierces, as it were, a man sitting or standing, with her breasts, and the man in return takes hold of them, it is called a `piercing embrace'.

The above two kinds of embrace take place only between persons who do not, as yet, speak freely with each other.

When two lovers are walking slowly together, either in the dark, or in a place of public resort, or in a lonely place, and rub their bodies against each other, it is called a `rubbing embrace'.

When on the above occasion one of them presses the other's body forcibly against a wall or pillar, it is called a `pressing embrace'.

These two last embraces are peculiar to those who know the intentions of each other.

Melanie Eskoff escribió:
Michael wrote: " My observation, not based on scientific sampling, is that those who dance close are more interested in connection and those that dance open seem to be more interested in figures."

Open (which dosen't mean arms length) salon is only danced well when the connection is paramount to both partners. Frame and connection are exactly the elements that make figures really work, otherwise they fall apart, literally and physically. I would say that open requires more connection, not less. The connection required is not as blatant as close dancing and not easy, but well worth the effort.

Connection and communication in dance is not just a product of greater square inches of body contact.

ME