[Tango-L] Why do I dance close embrace

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Jul 19 00:03:19 EDT 2006

Thank  you, Michael for a good question!
Well, as you can guess I believe there is music suitable mostly for close
embrace, mostly for open embrace, and both.

Here is the example of music suitable for both: Bacan Fulero of Lomuto, El
Flete of Canaro ( Here we are: 4 styles of dancing already )
It is difficult for me to find a good way to dance open with Biagi music.
Pedro Laurenz though is good for both.

It is difficult sometimes to find how to dance close with most of the music
played at Neo parties: modern one. So, open. And different open than to
Bacan Fulero, El Flete, or Pugliese. Salsa, Swing, Blues, Rumba and the like
can be easily danced in close ( hence they also can be danced in both :) )

I do not want to guess what other people dancing in open and close are
interested in mostly,
but I am looking for connection in both. And I have one! How otherwise can I
dance!? Good connection is not enough: what about body feeling, your own and
your partner? Rhythm, musicality, creativity, charm, surprise, drive, just a
fun of it, enjoyment of music? It all ads up. Yes, yes, in open too,
Michael. But connection is a cornerstone of any dancing.

Figures are just tools, patterns. Once one starts dancing improvising to the
full extent, he discovers that patterns exist besides anybody's will. They
can be discovered.

Igor.