[Tango-L] milonga-milongueros

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Jul 18 12:06:12 EDT 2006

Michael Figart II wrote:
> Of course she's capable of arguing on her own
> authority, and she does it very well, but there is
> nothing at all wrong with posting that of a higher
> authority also.

Obviously, but I'd still rather see argument than *mere*
(casual) opinion, be it descended from the BsAs heavens.

There's also the small matter of unfalsifiability when
you present an opinion of a "higher authority" that
was merely conveyed in private (not to mention distortions
necessarily introduced when the authority is not
actively participitating, but by proxy) - there's no
way for us to ascertain whether Deby conveyed the arguments
expressed on the list clearly, nor how she (unwittingly)
filtered the response. Of course, we can rely on Deby's
*own* authority should we choose so, but you can see
where this all can lead. Before you know it, someone
else can do the same thing on the other side of any argument
and the topic degenerates into an authority slinging
wrestling match.

Even Argentines are fallible humans who tend to say
different things in different contexts, and especially
when one milonguero has to comment on another one (or more
likely, someone he doesn't think is a true milonguero
like himself ;) ) - just as Deby herself indicated.

Which makes their opinion much more useful when the reasoning
behind them is explained (which also makes their opinion
much more interesting to us), and when the opinion is expressed
first hand, and in a context in which they're likely to have
thought carefully about expressing their views, and when you
can find a publically accessible source.

Of course, I do agree that Holy Grail of the Wikipedia "Neutral
Point of View" isn't something we can always achieve perfectly,
but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it.

All that being said, I wasn't carping on Deby - other people have
used that same mechanism to defend positions that were a lot less
tenable.

Alexis Cousein                                al at sgi.com
Solutions Architect/Senior Systems Engineer   SGI
--
Bad grammar makes me [sic].