[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

Jonathan Thornton obscurebardo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 19:26:02 EDT 2006

Bruno,

I wasn't being clear with my reference. I actually hadn't even considered
Borges in the sense of reporting on tango dancing. What I was thinking about
was the way Borges would treat multiple versions of reality and find a
deeper metaphysics underlying that and that I suspect for him he could find
a way to use tango dancers in a way to make a story illustrative of these
deeper aspects of psychic reality.

Hopefully what I've written here is clearer.

Jonathan Thornton

On 7/15/06, Bruno Romero <romerob at telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Jonathan Thornton wrote:
>
> >Most of tango history is from human memory. And most of the arguments on
> this list are about who is right and wrong. The great Borges could do this
> justice. I can't but does it seem to me to be something that is embraced
> by
> the spirit of tango that there are multiple versions that reflect our
> individualities.<
>
> My 2 cents:
>
> While Borges lived during the time of compadritos and the formation of
> Tango, his insight comes from the comfort zone of his home, which as I
> read,
> was fenced and protected from the outside world of malevos and
> compadritos.
> He did not venture outside his home. His accounts appear to be second
> hand,
> mostly from relatives, musicians, and friends.
>
> He cites tango places where tango competitions among compadritos, from
> both
> sides of the river, took place i.e., the dance academy San Felipe a.k.a.
> "La
> Academia" in Montevideo, Uruguay. His description is mostly disenchantment
> with the place when he realizes it is a humble place.
>
> Bruno

"The tango can be debated, and we have debates over it,
but it still encloses, as does all that which is truthful, a secret."
Jorge Luis Borges