[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

Bruno Romero romerob at telusplanet.net
Sat Jul 15 17:17:31 EDT 2006

Jonathan Thornton wrote:

>Most of tango history is from human memory. And most of the arguments on
this list are about who is right and wrong. The great Borges could do this
justice. I can't but does it seem to me to be something that is embraced by
the spirit of tango that there are multiple versions that reflect our
individualities.<

My 2 cents:

While Borges lived during the time of compadritos and the formation of
Tango, his insight comes from the comfort zone of his home, which as I read,
was fenced and protected from the outside world of malevos and compadritos.
He did not venture outside his home. His accounts appear to be second hand,
mostly from relatives, musicians, and friends.

He cites tango places where tango competitions among compadritos, from both
sides of the river, took place i.e., the dance academy San Felipe a.k.a. "La
Academia" in Montevideo, Uruguay. His description is mostly disenchantment
with the place when he realizes it is a humble place.

Bruno