[Tango-L] Ahhh Intellectual sophism revisted

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Fri Jul 14 07:09:02 EDT 2006

Gabriel,

I know as a blond I have serious problems before even touching the
keyboard, however being from San Diego, I know you understand that.
Please tell me where in my post I wrote that milonguero was a style of
dance?  I defined it as someone who dances tango.  I would also like to
know where you get your reference point on the word milonga being
universal to all of Latin America?

I realize that my ex who is from Cali  Colombia probably doesn't make me
an expert, however if you know Calinenos, they insist that partying and
salsa are the best in that country.  In all the years we were together,
I never once heard him, his family, or his friends, use the word
milonguero.  I never heard it used in the U.S. and I never heard it used
in Colombia.  I have never heard it used in Peru, or by my Peruvian
friends in the U.S. I have only heard it used by people who dance tango.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I would NEVER refer to myself as a
Portena.  I am American.  I was born in the U.S. and moved to Buenos
Aires.  That does not make me a portena.  My friends here joke sometimes
that I am a Cali-Porteno.  Just as the word "milonguero" carries
connotations of someone who hangs out in tango dance halls, Portena/o
here means more than someone who lives in the city.

Webster's defines the word sophism as an argument apparently correct in
form but actually invalid; /especially/ *:* such an argument used to
deceive