[Tango-L] tango to the blues

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Thu Jul 13 20:12:34 EDT 2006

Once every two months or so, I teach a seminar on "Tango to the Blues".
There are a few in this community who are struck with the way you can
interpret a great blues song with tango. Blues and tango music share a
common history, I think. The way a blues musician bends the notes is similar
enough to my ears to the bandoneon. Anyway, I dance tango to the blues at
least twice a week. We have a great blues scene here in Mpls. Keep in mind
that I am quite fussy as to the music I dance tango to, mostly because I
know enough other dances that I prefer doing the appropriate dance to the
appropriate music.

"Swango" I believe is West Coast Swing and Tango. That's what Daniel Trenner
used to teach, anyway. West Coast Swing is also danced to blues (along with
other genres). Ther is also Blues Dancing, which I do as well.

Hope some of you are considering a visit to Mpls for the Heartland Tango
Festival in September!

Lois
Minneapolis, MN 55408
www.mndance.com