[Tango-L] Social Tango, pre 1994

nina@earthnet.net nina at earthnet.net
Thu Jul 13 14:42:02 EDT 2006

Greetings, everyone,

The story of "milonguero" style that Barbara Garvey (always a delight to hear
from you, Barbara!) is exactly how I learned it while living in BsAs.  I know
this story from a person who was very intrenched in then newly-emerging tango
scene in Buenos Aires when very few people danced.

I think that it is very important to keep these stories.  They help new dancers
understand what is what in tango.  They alo keep the integrity of the evolution
of tango.

In my NSHO, the true keeper of the stories of tango is Daniel Trenner.  I hope
that he returns to touring one day.  Daniel collected the stories and shared
them as he traveled the world, and they were accurate stories because he talked
with those people himself and knew first hand what happenned in the recent
evolution of tango and how.

As far as colgadas, volcadas, etc. go, I know that Maestro Gavito danced his own
particular volcada - very stylish, very special - and it got a LOT of attention
in the world of tango.  It became his signature movement.

And Julio Balmaceda and Corina de la Rosa danced colgadas many years ago in
their own performances, long before they and other teachers were teaching it in
the classes.

However, in tango, there is nothing new.  Decades ago, dancers did everything.
It looked different because the style of dancing was different, but the
movements were the same.

I think that looking at these movements, it is important to make a distinction
between tango as a social dance and tango as an art form.  The two can overlap,
but only with great care.

Thanks for an interesting discussion!

Nina