[Tango-L] Social Tango, pre 1994

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Thu Jul 13 14:08:40 EDT 2006

Hi Tom, et al,
Hope you are doing well -- we've mentioned you to several visitors from
Colorado who turned up in our classes or practicas.

I guess we have to repeat this discussion every time a few newbies join
the List.
The term milonguero *as a style of dancing* did not exist in Buenos
Aires before 1993 or 1994, according to our experience.  If anyone who
was dancing there before 1993 has evidence otherwise, please speak up.
We visited BsAs for about a month at a time in 1987, 90, 91, 92, 94 and
98; in 1994 (93?-- we weren't there in 93) Susana Miller began teaching
and * heavily* promoting the term for close embrace style of dancing,
mostly Tete's version, as the *only authentic social tango*.  Dancing in
a close embrace definitely existed before our first trip,  but without
any bells and whistles;we had heard the term "confiteria" occasionally.
At places like Regin (now El Beso) and Salon Argentina  and other venues
in the center that was definitely the preferred style. We noticed only
salidas, walking, cadencias and weight changes, and back 8's. Not even
front 8s or 8s cortados. Plus no teachers even acknowledged that style,
much less taught it.

Meanwhile in the neighborhoods, like Mataderos and Villa Urquiza, a more
open, or actually very slightly in&out style (in for walking moves, a
couple of inches out for turning steps) was, and I hope, still is,
happening. See old videos of Fino and Teresa. This included sacadas,
turns, floor boleos, turns, etc, only "on the floor" techniques, but
never high boleos, jumps, or anything disruptive. This was the style
used by virtually everyone whose dancing was admired, and by all
teachers pre 1993 or 4. A large number of these dancers were (are?) very
very good -- see the film TangoBar with Raul Julia. Al and I knew and
studied with 4 of the couples in the "Como Dios manda"  scene. More
dramatic (fantasia) moves were only used for exhibitions (by non-stage
dancers as well as professionals) and were strictly warned against for
use in the milongas by all teachers, including stage dancers.

 Eduardo Arquimbau began teaching his club-style sometime in the early
90s, but originally he did not stress close embrace. Previously to his
classes we had found a similar very rythmic style of dancing was a
natural response to us to certain  music, D'arienzo, Biaggi, of course.

In the pre-94 years, "milonguero" or "milonguera" *seemed* (I may have
misunderstood the context) to refer to anyone who went dancing
frequently; I didn't notice a pejorative meaning although it was
understood that in the past it had that interpretation. In any case, I
wonder what term we can use for those of us who dance socially in
whatever style but actually live a pretty responsible lifestyle (by
choice, age or accident)????

And those who dance only "milonguero" style, but who are not layabouts
and womanizers, what do you call yourselves?

And those who insist this is the *only* social style, have you ever been
to Sunderland, Sin Rumbo, and other milongas outside the center of town?
Al and I are planning a trip to BsAs in November and are eager
(anxious?) to see for ourselves the extent of change since we were last
there in 1998.

NEW TOPIC: Recent History
I am curious about the introduction of such moves as colgadas, volcadas,
and other new close embrace and/or nuevo techniques. Does anyone know
who  invented what???
Abrazos to all from the Global Warming capital of the world.
Barbara
www.tangobar-productions.com