[Tango-L] Social dancing

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 10:44:54 EDT 2006

"And milonguero style dates back to the D'Arienzo revival of tango in 1935."

Milonguero style was danced downtown in confiterias or clubs, that is the
reason that style also carries names such as "del centro" (downtown) or club
or confiteria.

Those were pick up places. Milongueros went there to try to find a partner
for a romantic encounter and therefore they developed the very close embrace
but that was not the type of tango we danced in the neighborhoods of the
city.

At the local clubs the purpose of the dance was not to pick up but to dance.
A certain separation of the bodies was mandatory. There we danced liso,
salon or fantasia depending to our preference at the moment.

Sergio