[Tango-L] Social Tango: A Cultural Perspective

El Mundo del Tango mail at elmundodeltango.com
Wed Jul 12 23:43:19 EDT 2006

Ron...If  you  understood Argentine culture as well as you claim to, you
would know that "Milonguero" is simply someone who goes partying and dancing
all the time, for social purposes, whatever style he or she dances.
 The word is used all over Southamerica , is not exclusive of Argentina and
it may have nothing to do with Tango, depending on context.
I think you know very well that you should be calling what you teach
"Apilado"  o "Del Centro" but you desperately hang on to the "Milonguero "
label to imply that you are the "real thing", "the authentic one" and the
next guy is NOT .
Others like you do the same thing with the labels "Close embrace" or "Buenos
Aires style". Shame on them and you. You are excluding and offending
millions of milongueros, who never danced such style. Not  now, not in the
Golden ages, not in Buenos Aires, not anywhere . Anybody who doubts this,
can refer to Pepito Avellaneda's videos or discuss the issue with living
legend milongueros Facundo Posadas or Julio Balmaceda, to name just two.
Salon and Nuevo,  like it or not, are also "social ", were also created
(Salon, half a century before the so called "milonguero") and are danced in
Buenos Aires, depending on which Milonga you attend, and  can also be danced
in close embrace, even closer.
I agree with you and Tom  that we all must use judgement  to  adjust to
circumstances and context, but that has absolutely nothing to do with style.
Horrendeous navigation come in all styles and is more a matter of attitude
rather than skills or lack thereof.
 To lift your partner over yor head or have her hanging around your waist I
agree is not "social", but I heard the same thing said about boleos,
sacadas, enrosques, colgadas, etc. It sounds to me, agreeing with Jake, like
a lame excuse for not making the effort to aquire the skills to be able to
do them.

Gabriel