[Tango-L] Swango, blues

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 19:41:33 EDT 2006

In the past couple of months, there has been an interest in
the tango community of dancing tango to blues music (at
blues events).  There seems to be a new blues scene
emerging here (or at least being better publicized).  I
understand that jazzy blues would be the appropriate music
to use.  Any such crossovers in other cities?

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- steve pastor <tang0man2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You might want to look at this url to get a bit of
> perspective.
>   http://www.hhtco.org/swango/
>   It's a musical. The Tango crowd meets the West Coast
> Swing crowd and gives birth
>   to...  SWANGO !
>   I know someone who is now taking "swango" lessons. He
> has stated that this may
>   lead him to learn Argentine Tango.
>   Well, 60s rock and roll, and the Blues Brothers
> eventually led many of us to learning about the original
> blues music that preceeded rock. So maybe it's not all
> bad.
>

> Jeff Gaynor <jjg at jqhome.net> wrote:
>   Listeros!
>
> In my great random cruisings of the internet I tripped
> across references
> to "swango" which is supposed to be a fusion of swing and
> tango.
> (http://www.swangoseattle.com/, ominously enough,
> googling it also gives
> references to Michael Swango, the famously creepy serial
> killer.) Now, I
> don't know much about dancing, but it seems to me that
> these are
> mutually exclusive -- sort of why we don't have ancient
> Babylonian Gods
> that are half lion & half carrot. Can someone really
> simply explain to
> me how they could fuse these and still keep a majority of
> people
> vertical afterwards?
>
> Just curious and I thought it would give folks something
> new to gnaw on.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm