[Tango-L] Women inviting men to dance and the milonga codes

Janis Kenyon jantango at feedback.net.ar
Tue Jul 11 17:49:23 EDT 2006

The tradition in the milongas is for the man to invite a woman to dance with
the movement of the head or lips.  I wasn't aware that a place exists in
Buenos Aires where the women do all the inviting until I viewed the recent
program of Codigos de Milongas on Solo Tango (Sat 5pm, Mon 10pm, Wed 5pm).

In this recent edition, milonguera Elba Biscay commented on a young woman's
conduct in relation to the milonga codes as she knows them.  Elba danced
with Osvaldo Centeno in the finals of the Campeonato Mundial in August 2005.
She pointed out that one has to like tango before you learn to dance it.
She said, there are no men [with whom to dance these days].

The program followed 22-year-old Constanza as she prepared to dance at La
Fiesta del Reves.  She does all the inviting and dances with three men.  On
the last Tuesday of the month, women pay the 6 peso admission, but men get
in free.  Women do all the inviting.  This may be appealing to those who
aren't adept at using the cabeceo.  I spoke with the organizer who told me
they're having a Fiesta del reves tonight at Cabildo 3246 in Nunez from
10:30-2:00.