[Tango-L] Men and classes

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jul 7 19:21:22 EDT 2006

mallpasso at aol.com wrote:

> I think that after two years of group classes any further group
> classes for women are a waste of their time and money since most of
> these classes are geared towards leaders learning new steps, etc.
> Instead, women should focus on taking privates to work on their
> technique.  Ditto for men, but after four years of group classes,
> so they can also work on their technique.
>
> My two cents worth.
>
> El Bandido de Tango

I sort of have the opposite feeling, or at least, let me make the
opposite case.

(1) Men need lots of floor time just to practice the vocabulary and
develop muscle memory. This would mean a lot of expense if he only
took privates. So, I would say that men need group classes from the
start just to get sufficient (enforced?) practice time. Of course
they also can benefit from privates, but I usually recommend to men
that they get some basic vocabulary under their belt before working
in private.

(2) Women benefit immensely from privates at first, as their initial
learning is mostly about technique, and being molded to be good
followers in multiple styles. In beginner group classes (or with
intermediates at the practice!) women can easily mold to bad habits.

It is true that Beginner women's SOCIAL experience is greatly
enhanced by getting to know all the men in their group. They are much
happier at the practicas and milongas with friends from class.

As women move to Intermediate and up, women definitely need the
experience of group lessons in order to try their skills with
different men. Just as it is for the men, it up to the woman to learn
how to make the dance work for their partners. An Intermediate
follower can make the move work for a Beginner guy; an Advanced woman
can make the move work for an Intermediate guy.

To a certain extent, the women who claim the men can't lead, are not
as accomplished as they think.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org