[Tango-L] Women and Classes

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 09:19:20 EDT 2006

--- "TangoDC.com" <spatz at tangoDC.com> wrote:

> I'd be curious to learn what (solo) female teachers
> experience with
> female students in private lessons. Whether there's the
> same resistance
> to revision. Whether there's the same tendency of
> excuse-making prior to
> experiment. Whether there's the same apparent need for
> validation.

I remember one advanced workshop in which I partnered (as a
lead) a woman who came in late and didn't want to do an
easy technique the teacher taught the women earlier because
she preferred her own (less efficient) habit.  She threw
part of her workshop money down the drain!  I have never
had that happen with a man.

I do not encounter any resistance in privates from either
men or women but that is probably because we attract very
open-minded people who travel and dance wherever they can.
I have noticed, however, that both women and men who are in
their own little world (they don't travel, rarely attend
other people's events, only dance with certain partners,
etc.) are resistant, such as the woman above.  They think
they can't learn from others at a practica, so they don't
and they stagnate.  To others, this attitude is as clear as
day, so they don't bother to share the truth with those
people.

This is different from people who will question me when
what I say counters something else they have heard.  They
are simply trying to reconcile the differences, not resist
them.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm