[Tango-L] Women and Classes

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 03:25:34 EDT 2006

Hi Jake,

Nicely put (for the most part).

I'm not sure if your comment about my and Lois' complaints
("That's exactly the petty conceit I'm talking about.") was
directed at the complaints, the complainers or both. ;)

Also, your comment "Whether there's the same apparent need
for validation." is not entirely fair, or in keeping with
the remainder of your message. Providing validation might
be one of the most generous acts one human can perform for
another, particularly in our "egocentric status bullshit"
culture. It can be strong motivator for continuing
education, if it is used carefully. Of course, there are
some "master" teachers whose high fees for privates might
be more for paid praise than for useful education, but that
is a different discussion. I think to withhold legitimate
validation would do more damage than false validation. The
ideal situation would be to validate the person while
critiquing their dance.

Sean

--- "TangoDC.com" <spatz at tangoDC.com> wrote:

<snip>
I'd be curious to learn what (solo) female teachers
experience with female students in private lessons. Whether
there's the same resistance to revision. Whether there's
the same tendency of excuse-making prior to experiment.
Whether there's the same apparent need for validation.
<snip>
Sean earlier expressed a complaint about women who want to
be taken care of. Lois seconded the complaint on a
technical level. That's exactly the petty conceit I'm
talking about.
<snip>

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm