[Tango-L] Truthiness and Style "Fights"

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Jul 6 19:18:29 EDT 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 10:53 AM, astrid wrote:
> And as for that discussion on whether to take classes or not, in my
> opinion,
> this subject is ridiculous. This is starting to remind me of the
> fanatic
> milonguero fraction putting everyone else down for being
> inauthentic, and
> the "salon" dancers" fighting back by saying, milonguero style
> people can't
> really dance.
> Astrid

TRUTHINESS.

We have a new word in English. It describes the degradation of the
public political discourse in which extreme right-wing voices are
advocating opinions that they WANT to be true, as opposed to ACTUALLY
being true. Clever anecdotes like the "welfare mom with the
cadillac", or politically convenient battle slogans like the
nonexistent "Weapons of Mass Destruction", are TRUTHY because
political powers and the right-wing want them to be true. These fake
ideas become believed by many people because they sound believable
and are repeated over and over on talk radio.

Truthiness is about creating a false reality, or a strawman or a
whipping boy.

Anyway, Astrid dips her toe in the truthiness pond with the anecdote
above.

Astrid repeats the false accusation about an imaginary "fanatic
milonguero faction", a false dichotomy between styles, and a fight
between salon dancers & milonguero.

If you look back in the Tango-L you just won't find many fanatic
milongueros criticizing someone else's STYLE. However, you will
frequently find the ACCUSATION that they do so. The accusation comes
from a very few voices, repeated frequently because it is TRUTHY,
because they WANT to pick a fight. (Don't ask me about why...
probably something psychological...).

IT IS ABOUT CONTEXT, NOT STYLE

Show Tango is great on stage if done with skill and quality.
Milonguero would be a bit boring for a crowd to watch. But those
comments are not criticisms of the styles themselves.

Authenticity is important, but it is about energy, connection,
embrace, musicality, navigation and feel, which is relevant to all
styles.

Many N. Americans dance without the "authentic feel" of tango,
because we are learning tango "second-culture", and we don't have
very many good, social argentine dancers to learn from. Put someone
who has primarily learned tango as show figures on a dance floor in
Buenos Aires and the natives won't dance with them.

Actually, most of the dancers in most of the communities in the US
are some mixture of Milonguero, Salon, Fantasy & Nuevo. However, only
a very few communities have significant numbers of milonguero-style
dancers.

Probably 75% of the teachers traveling the US are Fantasy or Nuevo
dancers. Look at their advertised credentials, who they claim as
teachers, and the content of their classes. A much smaller minority
are teaching milonguero or social-salon.

GOOD NEWS

One good thing about tango travel and festivals is that the quality
of social dancing in the US has improved immensely. You used to go to
cities and find milongas full of people doing show vocabulary at arms
length. compared with five years ago, you now find more milonguero
and social salon.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org