[Tango-L] (no subject)

joanneprochaska@aol.com joanneprochaska at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 08:41:38 EDT 2006

Dear Tom,
Your observation is thought-provoking.

I have been dancing tango since August of 2000.  Since the first lesson that I attended, I never missed a Wednesday class, then added the Saturday class and milonga, then added the Monday Intermed. class, and I attended at least 6 workshops per year in Cleveland, along with going to other venues to dance the tango and to other cities for workshops and milongas.
I now teach the tango with my husband, Tim.
I still consider myself an intermediate.  I know that I have far to go.
One well-known instructor from BsAs (a woman), told us that it takes 5  years to learn how to follow, and another 5 years to develop one's own style of following.
Perhaps many women do not realize the depth to which the art of "following" can reach.
Perhaps they are not challenged to go "deeper" as they develop their relationship with the tango.
Perhaps they do not have a female role  model to let them know that they should not give up in the search to be "ligher", more musical and more connected.
Perhaps they do not realize that something can be learned from each lesson, from each workshop, from each instructor, from each dance, from each partner.
Have a great day dancing!
Joanne Pogros
Cleveland, Ohio