[Tango-L] Corte & quebrada

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Mon Jul 3 14:43:45 EDT 2006

Dear listees,

This discussion of the corte has been somewhat interesting, and I'm
wondering if anyone with a deep knowledge of tango tradition (Sergio
perhaps? Manuel?) can explain the difference between "corte" and
"quebrada." My hunch is that the first is a general term for any frozen
step, whether it's done with a similar event in the music or not;
whereas "quebrada" refers more to some kind of break both in the dance
and the embrace-- a more stylized pose, perhaps.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks,

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC